The hashtag #ActuallyAutistic was developed specifically for the autistic community. Its usage signals that the post is written by an autistic person.
The autistic community used to frequent the #autism hashtag, but its members were frustrated as the tag would be filled with pictures of autistic people (sometimes posted without their consent), friends/family members of autistic children, Autism Speaks, and hurtful or destructive remarks about autism.
The tumblr autistic community developed the #ActuallyAutistic hashtag to provide a safe discussion space. It has since spread to other communities, especially Twitter. While it is bad etiquette for neurotypical people to post in the #actuallyautistic tag, parents and friends are welcome to read through and discuss posts that appear in the tag.
View the #ActuallyAutistic hashtag on...
- ↑ Yes, That Too; Why actually autistic tag
- ↑ Sh!t in the Autism Tag tumblr (trigger warning; this is about all the awful things people post)
- ↑ ASAN tumblr: What is with the tags "actuallyautistic"...
- ↑ http://thelamedame.tumblr.com/post/26098953978/the-actuallyautistic-tag-since-there-seems-to-be-some
- ↑ F Yeah Autism Spectrum tumblr: People without autism (or, allistic folk): Please stop ruining my tracked tag. (content warning for swearing)