Depakote is the brand name of valproate semisodium or divalproex sodium. The drug is used in the treatment of a number of disorders, including epilepsy, chronic pain associated with neuropathy, and migraine headaches, and certain seizure disorders. Other brand names include Epival (Canada) and Valcote (Colombia).
Side effects of Depakote is very unpredictable. This drug is taken with other anti-seizures drugs, and hence prediction and determining of its side effects become more complicated. Some common side effects are:
- Indigestion, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation;
- Infections, sore throat, nasal inflammation, fever, symptoms of flu, headache;
- Vision related problems, ringing in the ears;
- bronchitis, difficulty in breathing;
- dizziness, nervousness, temporary loss of memory, sleepiness and at times insomnia;
- Abnormal thinking, emotional problems, depressions;
- Unusual weight gain or loss, weakness.