Parenting a Child with Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies gives advice to parents of children with Asperger syndrome.
Some of the tips included in the books are:
- Keep yourself stocked up (the Freezer Tip!)
- Get plenty of support
- Don't take things personally
- Don't neglect other areas of your life
- Be realistic about tackling problems
- Give yourself SMART goals
- Let the strategy be "on tap" not "on top"
- Try not to spoil him
- Find someone to talk to
- 10 Mums - let yourself off the hook
The book elaborates and clarifies each one of the tip it suggests.
The book begins with Acknowledgments followed by some advice on How to Use This Book in a Hurry, and an Introduction. The book has 5 chapters named as below:
- Laying the Foundations
- Bringing Out the Best in Your Child
- Common Problems, A-Z
- A Word of Personal Reflection
- Tip Finder: A List of All the Ideas, Tips and Strategies Contained in the Book
The book has 14 useful appendices:
- Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Planning an ABA Intervention
- A Token Economy
- Ground Rules
- My Emotions Book
- Anger Dos and Don'ts
- Emotion Vocabulary
- Ways to Earn Happy and Sad Faces
- Breaking a Task Into Smaller Steps
- The Clear Speech Game
- Hurting is Not Always Intentional
- Teasing and Banter
- What is Bullying?
- Bullying Dos and Don'ts
A list of useful websites, bibliography and an index complete the book.